I wanted to have a single paragraph for the scene of when I met up with my Family after not seeing them for 7 months. It hasn't being too long but the Cooke household doesn't function right when we are all separated. I will never forget pulling up to the hotel and seeing the smile of my beautiful mom standing up in tears too see me, I think my mom was already down the stairs from the restaurant while my dad was still trying to stand up, he blames it on his back apparently. My brother, too see my best friend and my hero after so long was so good...no words can describe that exact feeling. The amount of love felt between the family was amazing! Then finally pappa bear got out of his seat, straighten his back and gave me a hug I will never forget that hug. I was one felt that made me feel that the family was now together. He then said a comment that I thought he would say: "What have those Ozzies done to you?" I have never being so happy in my life to see the most important people in my life. I stopped smiling after 10 days that's for sure! Once a Cooke, always a Cooke!
Settled in and very tired, knowing my mom we weren't going to be relaxing for the day, a big day was planned and we had to go see everything, was so excited. Stories were flying around Jimmy's car and I don't think he knew what family he was driving around. First stop was the sight seeing spot where I got to hold an Eagle on my arm and saw one of the most amazing views on earth. Jimmy then transported us to the Big Buddha, what an experience that was too see the amount of work put into building such an amazing structure, all being built through donations. Walking through the Big Buddha just sends a feeling of peace through your body. My mom, brother and I then received a blessing from a Monk, felt like a real tourist but its amazing how he blesses you in a different way too all the people before and after you. After visiting the Big Buddha and experiencing a blessing we went down the hill to a locally owned restaurant where I had my first and probably the best Thai meal of the trip. We spent some time there while chatting with the family. Mike and I were too keen to have a look at the monkey show...was something too watch and was quite exciting to watch. A bit of brother time at the monkey did no harm at all with the monkeys bowing down to you, swimming and shooting some hoops to top it off. We eventually went back to the the hotel too have some chill time before we went to the Fantasea Show which was a performance done by Elephants and a group of extremely talented Thai People. It was amazing too watch and an experience I will never forget. The amount of planning and choreography that went into producing a show like that is absolutely incredible. So that would conclude the my first day in Thailand but the night had only begun according to my brother. I opted not going out but he then persuaded me into it by saying that Australia has taught me nothing when it comes to drinking. So the night started with a couple of cold Singa Beers on the balcony over looking the beach then for a good mission the depths of the Thai night life...
We went to a road that must of being one of the scariest roads -Ping Pong- I have ever being down -Ping Pong-. It was good to walk -Ping Pong- down the road that is apparently extremely famous all around the world. Welcome to Bangla Road. I had a bet that if I walked to the other side of a bar without the girls who work there touching me or sexually harassing me my brother would buy me drinks for the evening...they took my cap, basically pulled half my hair out and practically ripped my shirt off. The night continued into some interesting stories that I will not mention and probably will never mention, thanx to my brother...
The first night in Thailand was fun and interesting. Thanx Mikey.
An early wake for a boat ride to an Island famously known as Phi Phi island. It was about an hour boat ride hitting a couple of planks and plastic bags but we eventually arrived at a bay where there must have being about 80 - 100 boats all lined up to drop their costumers off, its nice to say I've being there but we were definitely not important at all because the beach was filled to the max with people.
The boat took us to another bay on the other side of the island before heading to get some lunch and eventually go diving. The diving begun with the Cooke family in first and diving out of the area we were aloud to dive in and soon after a couple of minutes diving under the boat. We expected a lot more than what we saw and were pretty disappointed. The amount of boats that pass through every day has destroyed the whole life on the reef but all in all it was a good experience to go on. We then stopped at a island near to Phi Phi called Coral Island if I'm not mistaken. This Island is very small with along of little stores, some bars, diving and jet ski's. So we all had a good dive, relaxation time and had some beers before the real fun happened and that is when we hit the ski's. So it was kind of a near death experience with me and my brother falling off at the speed of about 1 km an hour, that was with me driving but then it was my brothers turn with us jumping waves at a height of close to 2 meters in the air. We now know who the responsible brother is. After a long day at sea we hit the markets for some dinner and some bartering. I have learnt from my experience in Thailand that if you go to a shop and buy the product without bartering is pretty disrespectful to the Thai people. Just thought I'd let you in on that. After a while you will reach an agreement on the product and buy it. Another thing that is found disrespectful is when you barter with the Thai and come to an agreement and you decide not to buy the product, not sure why but its how it works.
Another big night on the town. That is about all I will say. Oh, and that the next morning was probably the worst morning of my life. A flight to Koh Samui at 8am and getting home from the night out at 5 with a good 2 hour sleep. I guess its part of travelling Thailand at the end of the day.
Koh Samui. The place to be. The place to see. By far the most amazing week with the family and friends! We put down the bags, had some lunch and met up with the Pollecutt's. When we met up with the Pollecutt's and I was reunited with a very close mate of mine, Michael Polly I knew the week was going to be crazy! The drinks were flowing and the night grew to become very pleasant if I can say with loads of laughs and non-stop giggles from my Mom and Michael's mom, Vivienne. I took the banter from everyone for apparently being 'Australian' but Eventually the night came to a close and the parents had obviously had a bit to many Gin and Tonics. So we called them a cab and sent them home while the big boys stepped in and went to Party. It was a good night in Koh Samui, A lot more relaxed than Phuket but was good fun and good to catch up with a good mate!
Koh Samui was summed up of a lot of shopping, chilling, beers and just having a good time. The end of the month was approaching and it was time to prepare ourselves for the full moon party but it was still a day to go so there was enough time for some jet skying and a little bit of partying. My brother left a day early to meet up with mates on Koh Phangan, the place where the Full Moon party happens but Mike Polly and I still had a day on the water and a night to party so we did so. Happy hour at the hotel along with dinner with the parents. It was now time to start the beers. We met so many people along with having an absolute crazy night at Green Mango, thee coolest club on the island. Woke up the next morning feeling fresh and ventured off to Koh Pangan to celebrate the Full Moon party, met up with the craziest group of friends at a place called the slip and fly. Look it up because there are no words to describe the amount of fun this little park has to offer. The group of mates consisted of Chris, Steph, Jenna, Courtney, Daniel Richter, my brother and Uncle Taz all from South Africa. What a crowd, never a dull moment and awesome company to have around! I knew I had a big night ahead so it was time to get ready, a stop at the bottle store and a sunset with a pool. The night started at Haad Rin Beach where there must have being close to 25 000 people on the beach and roughly 10 stages of all different types of music! It was bigger than New Years and was time to have a party. A big party.
Only a few made the end of the night and witnessed the sunset. Well Polly and I had no choice because we had to catch a boat back to Koh Samui at 7 in the morning...It was a great night and one that I will never forget. My brother and I both agreed that it was the greatest night of partying we have experienced. Once back at the hotel it was time for us to sleep and relax on the beach. The next day we hoped on another boat to go explore the islands near by. A 2 hour boat ride would get us to our destination and it wasn't the perfect sea for the occasion either. Was a bit bumpy...but..when we arrived it was all worth it. Crystal Blue water and amazing scenery. I had a goal of going to an Island that I wasn't too sure what it was called and where it was until I climbed a hill to find myself on the island I had always dreamed of going to. It was a massive surprise to find myself on the only island in the world to have three parts of land joined by one stretch of beach. With an amazing lunch to warm the stomachs we ventured around the corner on the boat to visit the most beautiful part of Thailand. We had a look at the reefs that were not ruined and saw so many different fish with the water being around 26 degrees and as clean as possible, the Cooke's where pretty much in heaven. What a great afternoon that was spent with the family and the Pollecutt's. That was our second last day on the beautiful island. The holiday was not over just yet. We still had a weekend in Phuket where we met up with our mates from Koh Pangan and the De Bruyn's who are family friends. Was nice to catch up and see them. I was extremely tired and was not keen for a big night but with my brother and Daniel Richter around I don't think I had an option. I managed to sneak a little shopping session with my mom and managed to find one of the biggest malls I have seen, It just never ended...was a nice time spending some time with my amazing mother.
The evening was great with a nice dinner with everyone and some beers. Was a really nice time spent with everyone. We then ventured into the mysterious Bangla Road for a decently big night before we had to go home...I had to be on a plane at 8 the next morning so my moms instructions were not to have a late night so it ended up me rolling in at 4 in the morning and my mommy sitting in the foyer waiting for me...she wasn't happy. Sorry Mommy! The next morning I knew was going to be sad for me and the family, well I guess my brother was sad but happy he didn't have to get up and say goodbye but he did mumble something too me. I think he said I'm not saying goodbye but I'll say hello at the airport when you get home...makes sense. It was a fast goodbye and not one I wanted to say again to the folks. The longer I stayed I knew the more emotional it would get for me and my mom and dad. I was extremely hard saying goodbye to the most important people in my life but the emotion felt made me know they are always going to be there for me even if half way across the world.
Thailand, Thank you so much for the time you lent us. To my family, thank you so much for being so special and treating me to the best holiday of my gap year! It was difficult to say goodbye, knowing you were going back home and I was heading to Australia. I love you guys so much and could not as for anything more that one of those Sunday lunches with everyone there. I hope you taking care of my cat and looking and looking after baby Ruby.
It was an adventure but it wasn't over yet...I was heading to the most southerly part of Australia, a island called Tasmania where I would meet up with a old brother of mine, Travis 'Hot Dog' Cresswell. Not only would I meet him but I would also meet up with all the legends my brother met and hung out with while he was on his gap year in Australia. People from Australia apparently don't venture down to Tasmania because of some stupid reason but to be honest it is one of the most beautiful places in Australia. The people are amazing, the parties are great and the land is perfect! The stories of Tasmania will be in My Part 2 blog of the mid year travels.
Read Part two to hear all about the trip to Tasmania i.e. the best place in Australia...
Managed to get some decent footage in Thailand thanx to my brother and his camera and to Some friends along the trip so creds go out to Michael Cooke and Courtni Veldsman (Full moon party).
With Love From OZ.
Reunited with my amazing family
There are a couple of wild photos of the Full Moon Party.
From Left: Uncle Taz, Jenna, Polly and I. We the only ones that made
the evening including Courtni, who was behind the lens.
My dad holding on for his life while I'm pretty sure the lady boy hand her
hand on my bum. Embraced myself. This was the Lady Boy Show. Class acting!
On top of the world, soaring with the eagles.
Family photo with the legend himself, Jimmy.
So much happiness to be reunited.
I know Lara Pollecutt would be dissapointed if she wasn't in my blog.
Yeah we don't have a license but the Cooke bros ripped it up.
The thing about travelling is that you meet different people
and experience the different cultures of the world. Canadians, Swedish,
Norwegian and the Saffas all at the table. Oh and the little boy from Thailand,
who should of being in bed
So much love for the most important woman in my life.
Two best mates along side.
The amazing group of awesome people that we got to spend the
wildest and craziest party with.
Boys being boys. Such a laugh!
Mommy got into the sea for another one of my boeties selfies.
Diving bros alongside each other, soon to be on the West Coast
Welcome to Phi Phi Island.
Could of smiled to be honest.
Local bars.
Full moon party! So much love
Amazing to party along side my best friend and my brother
after so long!
Enjoying the amazing sunset before seeing it rise, 12 hours later.
Koh Samui with Polly.
Time for my very own selfie.
Enjoying the Thai sun after a long day of Diving
The time you think you have conquered the bars on Bangla Road then...
Just the view from above.
Mates for life.
Soaring along side this beautiful creature and the view behind.
An Island I have always dreamed of and too spend it with my family,
could not have asked for anything more!
Felt bad about the Elephants but suppose it must be done.























No comments:
Post a Comment